Commercial vendors of tax software lobby against tax simplification
- April 2016: Slate: One Reason Tax Returns Are So Complicated? Because H&R Block and Other Preparers Like It That Way.
- April 2015: Los Angeles Times: The tax-prep industry lobbies hard to keep Tax Day a torture for you
- April 2015: New York Times: Would You Let the I.R.S. Prepare Your Taxes?
- April 2016: Moyers & Company: How Lobbying by Tax Preparers Helps Keep Tax Day Complicated
- April 2016: Sunlight Foundation: How big-money lobbying is making Tax Day even more complicated
- March 2013: ProPublica (the original story, updated 2016): How the Maker of TurboTax Fought Free, Simple Tax Filing
- April 2016: Senator Elizabeth Warren: Tax Maze: How the Tax Prep Industry Blocks Government from Making Tax Day Easier
- January 2015: Wall Street Journal, paywalled: Why ‘Free File’ for Taxes Isn’t So Popular